Saturday, September 12, 2009

A year to the day...

I just realized that I received my invitation to serve exactly one year to the date that I received my nomination (Sept 11, 2008). Of course, I was originally slated to leave mid-Sept '09 (i.e. now!) but a little delay never caused any harm.

Here's a quick recap of the past year in preparation for my departure:

September '08
*Yay! Interview and then nomination to Africa for Sept '09!
*Boo, can't get rid of ex-boyfriend (my fault as well as his).
*Yay! Amsterdam (for fun) and France (for work)!
*Boo, my car gets hit and causes me all sorts of headaches

October '08
*Look for new place to live (boo)
*Get back together with ex-bf and decide to move in together in Nov.
*Go to Long Beach/L.A. for conference and realize I can't move in with said bf after seeing so many eligible, stable men
*Break up with boyfriend for good, thus giving me a year to get over it and go back to single life (YAY!)
*Delay the start of Peace Corps medical review due to work travel, car troubles, moving issues, etc.

November - December '08
*Move back in with mother to save money
*Yay, Obama wins! Party on U St. in DC.
*Go out a lot. Get mad at guys that hit on me. Decide I'm not ready to meet guys yet. Hang out at friends' places instead. Recover from bf.
*Holidays! Shopping, shopping, shopping.
*Work! Prepare for major conference in January in Seattle. Pissed that conference starts the day of Obama's inaguaration (i live right outside of DC) and i'll be on the other side of the country. Go figure!
*Start to feel anxious about delaying Peace Corps medical review and paralyze myself a bit.
*Start to feel better when I make Lasik (eye laser surgery) appointment for end of December.

January - March '09
*Problems with financing Lasik. Problems with insurance approving Lasik requirement that I get Kaiser doctor to approve. Go to eye doctor more times in one month than past 7 years combined.
*Go to Seattle for major work conference. Kick conference's ass. Enjoy fine Seattle cuisine/beverages. Go to Space Needle and realize its a heck of a lot smaller in person but the view is still pretty cool. Annoyed I am not able to get to local indie club and rock my flannel and ripped jeans.
*Get promotion at work to temporarily take over Exec Assistant job to the President. Very happy! More money = more beer & out-of-pocket medical co-pays
*Start the ball rolling on my exams. Miss lots of work due to various pockings/proddings. Lots of sitting and waiting for doctors. Start wondering if there will ever be a time when I will not sitting and waiting for various doctors.
*Start going out again to my fav dive bars, clubs and concerts. Enjoy myself immensely.
*Get Lasik! Yay I can actually see without glasses/contacts! World looks a little brighter.
*End of March: 85% done with medical review stuff

April - May '09
*Finish my medical review in mid-April. Make two massive 75-page copies and send originals to Peace Corps office with many prayers for safe receipt. Annoyed that the headquarters is a 7 minute walk from my office in DC and I am not allowed to drop it off (thus depriving me of $2 in stamps that could have been effectively used at happy hour).
*Wrap up working for the President. Fun yet stressful is how I would describe it. :)
*Dive back into old position. Start working on meeting in Miami with some co-workers.
*Get dental clearance in late April. Yay!
*Anxiously await word from Peace Corps medical office. No one heeds my silent petition.
*Go to Miami for short meeting. Enjoy the warmth even though DC had the exact same weather.
*Continue attending concerts in DC (my favorite activity).

June - July '09
*Hmmm...what's going on? Why haven't I heard anything? (Start to get anxious about not hearing from medical office)
*Start contacting everyone and their mother for information on my application. Get the run-around from the office saying its a busy time and to be patient.
*Medical office calls and says its too bad I didn't submit everything earlier because that is what's causing my delay. Apparently April is the busiest time of the year for them and if SOMEBODY had turned in their stuff in the winter, this wouldn't be a problem. Thanks Medical office, I had a couple things going on but fine, I'll wait.
*Early July - YAY! I'm medically cleared!!!!
*Finalize my last day with work. All set for leaving last day of July. All of August will be used for packing for September (or so I think...)
*Two weeks in July - NICARAGUA for vacation and to visit family (my mother is from there)!!! Have tons of fun. Visit lots of volcanoes. Drink lots of Flor de CaƱa (national rum). Get scared of the crazy Sandinistas and keep my opinions to myself (even though I'm pretty liberal). Thank the Good Lord that I'm able to speak my views in the U.S. without fear of government
reproach.
*Return to US in late July. Finish last day of work. Have amazing going away party at work (Led Zeppelin/Africa-themed!)
*Still no word from Peace Corps. Frustrated. Call the placement office a lot to let them know that I'm still here! Please place me!!!

August '09
*Go to NYC to visit Ground Zero...of Hipsters (aka Williamsburg, Brooklyn). Explore various museums, parks, dive bars, beers, bridges, Highline walk, neighborhoods, etc. Meet up with various friends from different parts of my life. Enjoy myself immensely.
*Home again. Start harassing Peace Corps again. Finally get a person on the phone. Doesn't look like September will work. NOOOOO!!!!
*Go to Camp Fantastic for a week to serve as counselor for kids with cancer for the 7th time. Wear pink wig and other costumes, ride motorcycle, meet Erik Estrada, go canoing, pet a goat, get a flower painted on my arm, wear a cowboy hat, get reprimanded by lady wearing Red Hat at farm for wanting more than one hot dog for dinner, hang out with two awesome 13/14 yr old girls, take lots of pictures with adorable children, gossip with other counselors and pack up kiddies on bus to go back to their lives.
*Speak again with Peace Corps placement officer while at camp. Am told my assignment has changed from doing health promotion to being an English teacher. Yay! That's awesome! Supposed to leave in late October.
*Return home. Obsessively check Peace Corps Wiki for more details on possible countries/dates of departure.
*Go to Virginia Beach with my mother to return a camper's luggage that was supposed to go to there and instead ended up in Bethesda, MD. We take the time to hit the beach after dropping off baggage. Crabs are devoured, beer is consumed, and body is sun-tanned. Stay with fellow counselor who takes me out for sushi. Good times had by all.
*Return home. My room is a disaster. I realize I have been travelling at least once a month since May. There are four different suitcases/travel bags strewn about. Laundry needs to be done. Still haven't heard official word from the Peace Corps and my frustration level has reached an all-time high!

September '09 (early)
*Really getting irritated with the Peace Corps. People keep asking me when I'm going to know my official placement. Takes a lot of effort to stay positive. Not sure if they still want me. Start looking into other options for my life as I am uncurrently unemployed from a stable job. Kick myself in the head for quitting when I didn't have to.
*Peace Corps calls! Sorry, no teaching for you (boo!) but how about doing health education for women and children? YAY!!! I was a women's studies major in college and work with kids with cancer - duh, this is right up my alley!!!
*Am told I need to start volunteering with HIV/AIDS outreach before departure. Okay, I sign up in DC and start two days a week. Pass out condoms and literature. Realize how crazy our health care system is when multiple people approach me about dental problems and if we offer any services. Have to turn them away because not only do we not offer it but if they don't have insurance, there is literally NOWHERE for them to go. Heart breaks a little...
*September 9 - Email arrives telling me that I have been placed!
*September 11 - Get official invitation from Peace Corps!!!! YAY Gambia! Yay Health and Community Development! YAY for finally starting my journey!


And that was my year in a nutshell.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I'll keep checking it out. Have fun in your new adventure! :-)

    ReplyDelete