Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Natoma Jallow vs. Lucia Cruz

So my Gambian name is Natoma Jallow. We are given Gambian names to help us integrate into the local culture and whatnot. Personally, I think they also do it so that our names are easier to pronounce for those around us and as a security measure so creepy peeps don't get all stalker-ish on us.

But it has had another, perhaps unintended, effect. I feel like Natoma is becoming my alter ego. How so? Let me count the ways...

Natoma:
- Learns how to ride a bike on an unpaved Gambian highways after never riding in her life
- Puts a snake around her neck even though Lucia hates snakes
- Carries a bucket of water on her head like a typical Gambian woman
- Says "Iyoo" (= okay) and clicks her tongue after every sentence (again, like a good Gambian)
- Wears long skirts and covers her shoulders in public
- Is okay with mayonaise on her egg sandwiches and potatoes sandwiches and...well shoot, its just natural to have mayo in everything here
- Can't go inside a shop without saying "Salaam Maaleekum" and then immediately launch into a series of greetings in a quick, dull voice like most people here do
- Eats with her hands and can ball rice/sauce/meat in three quick rolls of her hand
- Sleeps through the first prayer call of the morning when it used to wake her up every morning at 5:30 am
- Distinguishes the different types of animal poop, including cows, sheep, goats, chickens, cats and dogs
- Squeezes into the back of a gele gele (aka Gambian rust tanks, aka an acceptable mode of transport here) and sits next to a lady with a baby on her lap, two bumsters, three yapping school girls and STILL works on a budget proposal on her way to the capital city

But really, are the two so different? I guess Natoma is another step in the ever-evolving person that is Lucia. And besides, Natoma helped Lucia finally become a PCV!


3 comments:

  1. I want to know what music Natoma is listening to -- how are the tunes in The Gambia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady - nice name! It's always fun adopting that alter ego... I've really gotten close to "Nisrine" while being here in Morocco. P.S. - I've started planning my West African COS trip - I can't wait to see The Gambia and YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. Telling different poop apart. I too can tell the difference between goat and sheep poop, cow, horse, cat, etc. Thanks to my little town experience in Spain. A handy skill! ;-)

    ReplyDelete