As David Bowie said, "Time may change me, but I can't trace time." I feel like I'm going through so many changes in such a short amount of time.
Some changes are nice - my skin has carmelized to a golden bronze, my frame is getting slimmer, my skin is clearer and I'm feeling much more relaxed about everything. I'm happy to be out of the rat race that is Washington, DC for a couple of years. I love my hometown area so much but DC/MD is a tough place to live. Tons of traffic, lots of work, lots of meetings/events. Its exhausting!
My Peace Corps experience is also exhausting but in a different way. I am tired after learning language all day, everyday but its challenging and I'm getting better. Its only been two months but I know I will only get better and people here are always willing to help you along with your learning. As long as you can laugh at yourself, you can learn a language. You WILL make idiotic mistakes (one of the trainees mimed a camera clicking and asked the village head that for a "foto" of him not realizing that "foto" was the word for "penis!" No worries, nothing bad happened). Haha...love it!
I feel like I am also happier in general. I never thought that hauling water from the local pump and writing by candlelight could make me take a chill pill, but it definitely has. I have a new appreciation for the resources I take for granted in the U.S., especially hot showers, but still enjoy my bucket bath under the African stars at night!
This is only the beginning of all the changes I will undergo. I hope I do not end up being all crunchy-granola, super-hippie chick with dreds but I fear that I might embrace this in a year or so! Haha...no that's not me. I'm too much of a rock chick to let it go that far. I do wear long African skirts now and I speak the local language but I will NOT get dreds*!
*(no offense to those that do have dreds...unless you're a dirty hippie. then yes, i do hope to cause you offense. i'm assuming you don't know me so you might actually be offended but know that i'm just joking...sort of.)
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HAHAHAHA! u never know, u may look HOT in dreads! and I completely understand about the busyness of DC and how, when u step out of it, it's a relief. Life can be different. Enjoy! :-)
ReplyDeleteawesome!!! I knew once you got out of this area you would enjoy life and its simplicities so much more. It looks like you are having a great time there and even though I am up late I have enjoyed looking at your pics and blog comments sweetie. Love you and God bless, the kids and I pray for you every nite :) MUAH!!!
ReplyDeletebtw, you need to update your address...i will be sending you your stuff in about two weeks...
ReplyDelete