I've done the going away party, I've packed and repacked my bags, said goodbye to a bunch of great friends and family. I'm really gonna miss everyone (especially my siblings and mama!) but I'm ready to go. (pic below is me and the rest of the siblings!)
I've been ready to go into the Peace Corps for awhile now and I'm really excited that the fun part is about to begin (although, months of filling out government paperwork might be considered fun to some people...?). I'm apprehensive about what will come, but am even more ridiculously excited about being able to live in a different country AND getting to help others help themselves. It really is the best of both worlds for me (travel + volunteering) and I truly feel like I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing.
Someone said the other night that I was really lucky to be able do this but I don't think luck played such a huge role. I realized that I made this work because I worked at it. I wanted to do this and although it took some years to make my dream a reality, I'm really proud that I made it through the process. Joining the Peace Corps is no walk in the park, make no mistake about that. I know its not their intention, but they put you through the ringer and you have to prove that you want it through emails, phone calls, and general harassment. I hope this is their way of saying "Oh you think it's tough dealing with the U.S. government beauracracy??? This is just a test for what to do when dealing with where you're going!"
I think I passed that test and I'm looking forward to being put through the ringer for the next 27 months!
In the meantime, I have this to say to you...
Congratulations lady!!!I hope to be able to visit you on my COS trip!
ReplyDelete